What to do if your Dog is Picky Eater – QQPETS?
Is your dog a picky eater? Picky eating is a very bad habit for dogs. It not only causes waste of food but also leads to insufficient or excessive intake of certain nutrients in dogs. Besides, picky eating will result in weak health, poor resistance to illness, or excessive obesity. Some things you can do if your dog is a picky eater.
Some suggestions for picky eater:
1. Make it a habit to eat food regularly throughout the day. In the first 3 months, the dog every day at least should eat four meals. At 3 to 8 months old, your dog should eat three meals per day. When your dog more than 8 months, your dog should eat two meals per day.
2. Choose a feeding time and try to stick to it as much as possible.
3. Limit the amount of time you make their food available to them. It is the best way to handle a picky dog. When you feed your dog, you should control the time within 30 minutes. Over time, remove the food. Your dog will understand that it’s now or never when their food is placed in front of them. If they are hungry, they will eat.
4. If you have been feeding your dog table scraps, stop doing that immediately. Human food really doesn’t provide the proper nutrition for your dog.
5. Besides, do not feed your dog new food unless your veterinarian suggests it.
6. Encourage your dog to play and exercise every day. If he isn’t burning off much energy, he may not be that hungry. Adequate exercise helps to build an appetite in your dog. It also helps his overall physical and mental health.
It isn’t too late to change feeding ways you give your dog his meals if you have developed some bad habits.
Also, be sure to bring your dog to see her veterinary at least once a year. This can prevent illnesses before they get too bad.